This year’s event will feature performances by the Piedmont East Bay Children's Choir’s Ecco Choir, Oakland School for the Art's One Voice Choir, and the Oaktown Jazz Workshop. The celebration will also include spoken word performances by students from Piedmont and Millennium High Schools and Piedmont Middle School. Speakers representing state government, the Mayor’s office, and the Piedmont Police Department will discuss Dr. King and his legacy. Snacks and beverages will be for sale. See program below for a full schedule.
The annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration is sponsored by PADC and the City of Piedmont with support from the Piedmont Asian American Club.
- 12:45 Doors Open
- 1:00 Welcome Remarks, Margaret Huang and Yuriko Tada PADC Co-Presidents
- 1:05 Comments by Honorable Barbara Lee, Congresswoman, 13th District of California
- 1:20 Oaktown Jazz Workshop, Executive Director, Ravi Abcarian
- 1:45 Comments by Honorable Margaret Fujioka, Mayor of Piedmont
- 2:00 Community Service Initiatives at Piedmont High School
- 2:15 Oakland School for the Arts: One Voice Choir, Led by Solas Burke-Lalgee
- 2:45 Intermission
- 3:00 Comments by Piedmont Police Chief Rikki Goede
- 3:15 Piedmont East Bay Children's Choir: Ecco Choir, Led by Clifton Massey
- 3:45 Closing Song: We Shall Overcome (Ecco Choir and Everyone)